Awaken Your Senses Tour, Provence, France, June 23 - 30, 2019
We’re excited to announce our second ‘Awaken Your Senses’ tour.
Last fall, we enjoyed a multitude of sensory-rich experiences in Brussels. This summer, we’re headed south – to the south of France that is! All the way down to the beautiful region known as ‘Provence.’
Provence was popularized by British writer Peter Mayle, whose book ‘A Year in Provence’ charmed international audiences with stories of everyday life in the south of France.
And though Mayle may have brought Provence to the attention of the modern world, many others before him recognized the beauty and wonder of this small corner of France.
- Impressionist artists such as Cezanne, Picasso and Van Gogh were attracted by the golden light and rugged landscapes of the region and painted many a masterpiece there.
- The Romans founded Aix-en-Provence in 123 BC, leaving behind such architectural wonders as the Roman amphitheater in Arles and the Roman aqueduct near Nimes (both built in the 1st century).
- Farmers have long taken advantage of Provence’s rich soil and abundance of sun that allow lavender fields, olive groves and vineyards to flourish.
- Nature lovers have marveled at the region’s varied landscapes, ranging from the small mountain range of ‘Les Alpilles’ and the wetlands of the Camargue Natural Park, to the azure blue coastline on the Mediterranean.
- And 'foodies' from the world over have delighted in the gastronomic wonders of the region, which feature: traditional dishes, such as ratatouille, tapenade and bouillabaisse; mouth-watering truffles; colorful fruits and vegetables that can be handpicked at markets lining town squares; hearty breads, wine and cheeses; as well as the region’s sweets such as chewy nougat and ‘Calissons,’ a small fruity almond-based cookie topped with a thin layer of white icing.
So, let us ask you:
- Can you imagine yourself walking the same cobble-stoned streets that Cezanne, Picasso and Van Gogh walked? Laying your eyes on the landscapes they painted and the colors that inspired their genius?
- Can you see yourself marveling at the Romanesque architectural wonders that are as sturdy today as they were 2,000 years ago?
- Can you smell the endless fields of lavender as they bask in the afternoon sun?
And after that description of Provence’s gourmet delights, is your mouth watering yet?
Is it any wonder why we call our tours, ‘Awaken Your Senses’?
As you know, when we lived in Europe we traveled throughout the continent on ministry tours.
Ever since then, we’ve dreamed of traveling to Europe with friends and sharing some of what we love about the European culture.
Because even today, something inside of us ‘awakens’ each time we land on European soil.
Our senses come alive when we hear the village church bells ringing, see fresh flower markets on town squares, smell the aroma of coffee wafting from local cafes, and taste the mouth-watering pastries whipped up by local bakers!
The architecture, the culture – even the fresh air - transports our souls to another time and place . . . one where we feel fully alive and overwhelmed by beauty.
This is what we want to share with you during our ‘Awaken Your Senses’ tour in the Provence region of France.
The itinerary includes much of what we described above, visiting towns in the area, including Aix-en-Provence, Nimes, Arles, Avignon and St. Remy de Provence.
We will base from a large villa in Provence where we will:
- Make daily excursions to these towns and visit historical sites, shop in street markets and trace the footsteps of Cezanne and Van Gogh.
- Take trips into the country where we’ll wander through endless fields of lavender and perhaps sample wine in the tasting room of a local vineyard.
- Cook some of our meals with local fresh ingredients and enjoy others in local restaurants known for regional dishes.
- Incorporate a variety of experiences that may include things like: dipping our toes into the Mediterranean, taking a cooking class, and watching olive oil being pressed.
Would you like to 'awaken your senses' in Provence with us?
The cost: $3749.00, plus airfare (we will work with you to choose your airline ticket). This covers lodging, breakfast, several meals in restaurants, activities, and transportation.
- You will need to purchase your airfare separately, but we will work with you on choosing your flight to coordinate with the others on the tour. You will also be responsible for additional costs, such as:
- Passport fees, (apply now if you do not have a passport. This is taking longer due to gov. shutdown)
- Travel insurance (we do not require, but highly recommend https://www.travelexinsurance.com)
- Souvenirs, shopping, lunches, and a few dinners will be your responsibility. We suggest allowing at least $50 per day for expenses.
Deposit: $749.00 DUE NOW - when paid, your place will be secured.
SPACE IS LIMITED. . . first come, first serve! The remaining payments are due in $1,000 increments on Feb.28, March 30, and April 30.
We’re excited about 'awakening our senses' in Provence, and we hope you can join us!
Looking forward to making memories with you this summer,
Kirk and Deby Dearman